Friends, I’m going to post my Top Ten from the nominations list which is posted on the ALA page.
However! After seeing a picture of the committee with their top ten picks, it seems that the ALA list of current nominations was not the final nominations list, because there are books on the official top ten that are NOT on the ALA list. Such as: Trillium, Seconds, In Real Life, Through the Woods, and that book that Thomas is holding that I don’t recognize.
This is disappointing to me as a lover of order and detail, and as a blogger who wanted to cover all of the nominations. This is how I feel:
On the other hand, I’m happy that Through the Woods is there, because I was wondering why it hadn’t made the list. It’s definitely one of my top ten books I read last year.
So with my disappointment registered, here are my Top Ten, from the information that I have at hand, which is not complete, in no particular order:
1. Through the Woods, Emily Carroll
2. Beautiful Darkness, Fabien Vehlmann & Kerascoet
3. El Deafo by Cece Bell
4. Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales: Treaties, Trenches, Mud and Blood by Nathan Hale
5. Moonhead and the Music Machine by Andrew Rae
6. Ms. Marvel V.1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona
7. This One Summer by Jillian and Mariko Tamaki
8. Tomboy by Liz Prince
9. Above the Dreamless Dead edited by Chris Duffy
10. Dumbest Idea Ever! by Jimmy Gownley
Overall, I thought that 52 of the 81 listed nominations were “great”, with 40 of those being really great.
Keep your eye on the ALA site to see an update on the final list… if they remember to update it.